Bring a JA Parent Support Network to your community.
Leading a support group is an enjoyable and rewarding experience and in 2018 we are piloting a program to provide support to JA Parents. Our support groups are led by parents or guardians of kids/teens living with childhood rheuatic diseases. JA Parent Support Network Faciliator go through an application and training process to ensure that they have the tools needed to begin and grow a JA Parent Support Network in their community. As a future facilitator, you know the unique challenges of raising a child with arthritis and other childhood rheumatic diseases and will connect with other parents locally who are also navigating life with a child with JA. You will meet amazing people, make lifelong friends, and create great memories.
A JA Parent Support Network Facilitator:
- Plans, coordinates, and facilitates fun and engaging group meetings and social activities and events for parents in your community.
- Promotes, markets, and maintains a group that is supportive and a safe place to share thoughts, feelings and experiences.
- Uses our Constituent Relationship Management Software to: add events to our website, maintain contacts and a group email list to communicate to group participants and report on attendance at support group activities.
- Communicates with Arthritis Foundation staff (national & local), local Live Yes! Leader chair, group participants, and prospective group participants.
Our volunteer driven peer led support group program is part of an expanding range of Arthritis Foundation resources that provide personalized help and support and we meet in person in communities across the country. Our peer led JA Parent Support Network get together for activities and share about their experience on the arthritis rollercoaster. Some examples of group activities are: attending wellness education lectures, discovering coping skills and strategies, meeting for coffee, lunch, going bowling, playing miniature golf, and picnics in the parks.
Expectations: Our Support Network Facilitators are the support group leader of our local groups. In this pilot, they agree to host at least 3 meetings in 2018 and 6 meetings in 2019. These meetings can be wellness education focused or informal events. We do ask for at least a 1 year commitment because it does take time to build and grow a support group.
Prior to completing the application below, please:
- Review the list of other pilot JA Support Network locations
- Learn more about local Support Network
- Read what people have said about the Support Network
- Learn more about starting a Support Network
If you'd like to lead a JA Parent Support Network, please complete the form below. If your are interested in leading a Live Yes! Support Network please follow the link to complete the LIve Yes! Support Network Facilitator Application
* Please note that this training is provided to US based Support Network locations only.