Arthritis Support Network launched: 2010
Arthritis Support Network Leader: Haydee Type of Arthritis: Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis
About this Arthritis Support Network:
Together we are empowering people to not just survive with arthritis but to thrive!
Hello, my name is Haydee (pronounced Heidi) and I am the Arthritis Support Network Leader for the Arthritis Support Network in West Los Angeles. Together we are creating a Fun, Empowering, and Supportive Community and Network of People Living with Arthritis and Rheumatic diseases.
You may be wondering why I took on organizing and facilitating an Arthritis Support Network. Simply - there is a real need for a group on the Westside and I got tired of waiting for someone else to step up and start any kind "local" arthritis support group. After attending my second Arthritis Introspective conference I was in my rheumatologist’s office and heard another patient say she wished there was a group on the Westside. It was like the universe was kicking me in the pants, saying “Come on already - call Kevin Purcell and get yourself trained to lead a local support group”. So I made the call and haven’t looked back.
So what makes me qualified to be a group leader? Well, for over fifty years I have been on the Rheumatoid Arthritis rollercoaster. I was diagnosed with JRA at the age of seven and have dealt with being a young person living with an “old” person’s disease. I've had multiple surgeries including bilateral hip replacements. Like most people living with arthritis I have tried almost every treatment out there. My condition is currently controlled through a combination of medications & self-management techniques. In 2004 I choose to "medically retire" after working for 25 years in retail as an Operations and Human Resources Manager. In 2016 I returned to the workforce as the Director of Community Support Networks for the Arthritis Foundation National Office. I am thrilled to be training new Arthritis Support Network Leaders and rolling out new Support Groups across the country.
I am someone who loves volunteering and making a difference as my energy and condition permits. I volunteer as the West Los Angeles Arthritis Support Network Leader. I've also volunteered with the Greater Los Angeles office of the Arthritis Foundation as a Speakers Bureau Chairperson, Certified Speaker, and Arthritis Advocate to educate people about living with arthritis. I'm trained to facilitate Stanford’s Chronic Disease Self-Management Program.
One of the things I have learned is that it makes a world of difference to connect with people who "really" understand what we deal with and get it. Living with a chronic illness can be super challenging especially when you are still young. It can be so overwhelming balancing it all - working, relationships, navigating the healthcare system, managing one’s health etc. It is important to educate ourselves, to have fun and get to a place where you are not just surviving arthritis but are thriving. The West Los Angeles Arthritis Support Network is accomplishing this through a combination of social and educational activities. So, no sitting in a church basement, drinking stale coffee, and being negative. I’m all about exploring new places, seeing things and looking for the positives in life.
If you are living with Arthritis and its related rheumatic conditions such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Juvenile Arthritis, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Psoriatic Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis or Osteoarthritis, newly diagnosed with arthritis, a seasoned vet or somewhere in between, you are invited to join us. And yes loved ones and friends are more than welcome! If I were to use three words to sum up AI they are Connect, Empower and Educate. I look forward to connecting and meeting you soon!
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much!
To join this Arthritis Support Network, please click the "Join this Group” button above and we will send you updates about upcoming events via email.
We typically meet the second Saturday of the month.
Head over to the Calendar of Events to RSVP your attendance.
Complete details with location and times will be posted on this website and cross promoted to our Arthritis Support Group West Los Angeles CA Facebook page. Please like and follow us!
2017 West Los Angeles Arthritis Support Network Schedule - We typically meet the Second Saturday or Sunday of the month. Details including time and location are posted in the calendar of events on this website. Please don’t’ forget to RSVP so we know who to expect.
- Sunday, January 8th - Panera - Santa Monica Topic: New Year kick off meeting - goal setting
- Saturday, February 11th - Ugo Cafe - Culver City Topic: Communication, relationships and dating
- Saturday, March 11th - Tender Greens - Marina Del Rey Topic: Exercise and Arthritis
- Saturday, April 8th - Yoga Bliss Topic: Adaptive Yoga and a potluck picnic in the park
- Sunday May 21st - UCLA Wilson Plaza 221 Westwood Plaza Activity: Walk to Cure Arthritis and social following the walk at a restaurant in Westwood
- Saturday, June 3th - UCLA Santa Monica Auditorium Topic: UCLA Rheumatology Seminar Integrative Health and Nutrition.
- Saturday, July 15th - LYFE Kitchen Playa Vista Topic: Summer Social
- Saturday, August 12th - Hal's Playa Vista Topic: Difficult Emotions and Arthritis
- Saturday, September 23rd - UCLA Santa Monica Auditorium Topic: UCLA Rheumatology Seminar Integrative Health and Nutrition.
- Thursday, October 26th - Torrance Topic: Living your Yes 101
- Tuesday, November 7th - Torrance Topic: Living your Yes 201
- Saturday, November 11th - Location TBA Topic: Thriving during the Holidays
- Sunday, December 10th - Glendale Activity: - Jingle Bell Run and Holiday Brunch
2016 AI West Los Angeles Schedule - We generally meet the Second Saturday or Sunday of the month. Details including time and location are posted in the calendar of events on this website. Please don’t’ forget to RSVP so we know who to expect.
- Sunday, January 10th - Lemonade - Santa Monica Topic: New Year kick off meeting
- Sunday, February 14th - Ugo Cafe - Culver City Topic: Matters of the heart
- Sunday, March 6th - Starbucks - Santa Monica Topic: Assistive Devices
- Saturday, April 16th- UCLA Santa Monica – Santa Monica Topic: UCLA Health presents “Empowering, Engaging and Educating: What Every Rheumatology Patient Needs to Know”
- Saturday, April 16th - Sonoma Winery - Santa Monica Social
- Saturday, May 14th - Walk to Cure Arthritis at Exposition Park - join our team Arthritis Introspective LA – Got Support?”
- Friday May 20th - 22nd - 9th Annual National Gathering Conference – Nashville TN
- Saturday, June 11th - - Tender Greens - Marina Del Rey Topic: Arthritis Foundation Resources
- Saturday, July 9th - Z Gardens - Santa Monica Topic: Traveling with Rheumatic Diseases
- Saturday, September 24th - Santa Monica Library Topic: Create Calm
- Saturday, October 8th - Z Gardens - Santa Monica Topic: Pain, Stress, Emotions and Arthritis - Using the power of our mind and self managements tools to live better with arthritis.
- Sunday, November 6th - Ugo Cafe - Culver City Topic: Strategies for the Holidaze! Let's talk about self care, tips, tricks and strategies to enjoy the holidays!
- Sunday, December 11th - JIngle Bell Run and Holiday Lunch, Glendale - Join our team Arthritis Introspective - Got Support LA
2015 AI West Los Angeles Schedule - We usually meet the Second Sunday of the month. Details including time and location are posted in the calendar of events on this website. Please don’t’ forget to RSVP
- Sunday January 11th – Panera - Santa Monica - Topic: Wellness Collaging and Coffee
- Sunday February 8th - Cake Screening and Bake(d Goods)
- Sunday March 8th - Cafe Gratitude - Venice - Topic: Healthy Eating
- Sunday April 5th - Native Foods Cafe - Santa Monica- Topic: items that make our lives eating
- Sunday May 3rd – Gluten Free Expo – Pasadena, CA - Topic: the Gluten free lifestyle
- Friday May 22 – Sunday May 24 – 8th Annual National Gathering Conference – Milwaukee, WI
- Saturday May 30th - Walk to Cure Arthritis at Exposition Park - join our team “AI Greater LA – Got Support?”
- Sunday June 7 - Sonoma Winery - Santa Monica - social
- Sunday July 12th - Cozymel's Mexican Grill- El Segundo Topic:Summer Travel tips
- Sunday August 2nd - Mendocino Farms - Marina Del Rey - Topic: Adult Coloring for stress relief
- Sunday October 11th - Wellness Reinvented - Burbank Topic: Wellness Education
- November 15th - Lyfe Kitchen - Culver City Topic: preparing for and thriving during the holiday madness with a rheumatic condition
- Sunday December 13th – TBD - Jingle Bell Walk/Run and Holiday lunch afterwards at a restaurant in the Glendale
Past events: adaptive water exercise class, picnics, museum tour, educational and social outings
2014 AI West Los Angeles Schedule - We meet the Second Sunday of the month. Details including time and location are posted in the calendar of events on this website. Don’t’ forget to RSVP
- Sunday January 12th - Le Pain Quotidien Villa Marina in Marina Del Rey.
- Sunday February 9th - Color Me Mine in Santa Monica.
- Sunday March 9th - labyrinth Walk in the West Adams area
- Saturday March 15th - UCLA Health is hosting a seminar called “Empowering, Engaging and Educating: What Every Rheumatology Patient Needs to Know” From 9:00 am – 12:30 pm
- Sunday April 13th - Native Foods Café – Santa Monica
- Saturday May 11th - Private residence - Water Exercise demo
- Sunday May31st - Walk to Cure Arthritis at Exposition Park
- Sunday June 8th - Gluten Free Expo in Pasadena
- Friday June 13th – Monday June 16th – Annual National Gathering Conference – Tucson AZ.
- Sunday July 13th Native Foods Café – Santa Monica. Topic Traveling with Rheumatic Diseases
- Sunday August 10th - Peets Coffee Torrance - coffee and chate
- Saturday September 13th - UCLA Health is hosting a seminar called “Empowering, Engaging and Educating: What Every Rheumatology Patient Needs to Know” From 9:00 am – 12:30 pm
- Sunday September 14th - Picnic at Malibu Wine - Social
- Sunday October 12th - Wellness Reinvented: Living Better with Arthritis - Burbank
- Saturday November 22nd - UCLA Rhuematology Nutrition lecture
- Sunday December 14th – Jingle Bell Walk/Run and Coffee afterwards at Panera Glendale -
If you have meeting topic ideas, suggestion or meeting location suggestions please let me know.
All subscribers to this group agree to adhere to the Support Group Participant Guidelines.